Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Another Busy Semester

It seems I am always marveling at how busy we are.  Each season I imagine we could not possibly pack more into our schedules, and yet, each season we manage to do just that.

Lennon and Mia have both started back to school by now and everything seems to be going well.  Lennon's teacher, Mrs. Kiely, seems very sweet.  I am going to meet the teacher night tomorrow night.  The information that has come home about their curriculum this year leads me to think that it won't be much of a challenge for Lennon, but as long as he is enjoying himself we're happy.  The math he is expected to learn by the end of the year is stuff he could do three years ago in his head.  I am going to be the room parent for Lennon's class this year and he is beyond excited about that.  While I am happy to have made him so proud, it is definitely going to be stretching me.  I'm just not very organized by nature.  I hope I can do a good job for his class and his teacher.

This semester is definitely going to be a juggling act for me with Lennon in school and Mia being homeschooled and participating in all the various activities she is involved in.  Mia and I are part of a home school cooperative this year.  It seems like it is going to be really fun.  Mia is taking Latin, Algebra/Geometry, a physics class called, Chain Reaction Contraptions and a writing class called, Druidawn.  I am teaching a theatre class which is turing out to be a lot more fun than I had expected and the work involved is not as much as I had anticipated.

At home, we are working on a new grammar text and a new math program.  Both are going well so far.  We're finishing up our study of the Medieval period of history and plan to begin Early Modern history in the spring.  For poetry, we are studying Christina Rosetti and Mia seems to really be enjoying that part of our day.  Mia is also continuing with the science class she's been doing with some other home schoolers on Fridays.  This year they will be focusing on engineering in the fall and chemistry in the spring.

Lennon has given up gymnastics this semester in liu of karate.  He can go as many as four times a week for about the same cost as his gymnastics class last year and several of his friends are in the same class, so he is really enjoying it.  He wants to start taking private music lessons, but I want him to wait out this first semester of full time school before adding anything more to his schedule.  He's been pretty exhausted so far with the long days.

Rehearsals for Les Miserables are in full swing and going well.  Mia has to be there most Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 until 9:30 and Saturdays from 12 until 6.  It is a lot of driving and waiting for me, but I am hoping to get a lot of reading and lesson planning done while I wait for her.  The town where her rehearsals are in is a pretty cute little town, as it turns out, with a  relatively vibrant downtown area.  She is also continuing on with the music program at The Real School of Music followed by her private voice/piano lesson which we have upped to 45 minutes this semester.

Shelby has been working a 6 day week for about the last year.  He usually leaves before we are up and gets home in time for dinner.  Mia and I get to have lunch with him most days, but Lennon is at school and is missing the extra time with his Daddy.  On Mia's rehearsal nights though, Shelby and Lennon get to spend some time together.  With Sunday being our only day together as a family, we seem to always have something scheduled on Sundays.   A home school picnic last sunday, a fairy festival in NH this coming Sunday.

Busy, busy, busy.  We are having lots of fun though.  I may not always have a clean floor.  I may often have folded laundry sitting around in the living room, but I always have time to curl up and read a book all by myself or with the kids, or play a game together or cook some new creation Lennon has determined must be made "the hot tub way."

I've not been very good about keeping up with this blog lately.  As Shelby would point out to me when I lament having forgotten the camera;  I'll just have to enjoy being here and store the memories in my mind.  I guess that's what I've been doing.

Cheers to a great fall semester!

No comments: